Laboratory Manager/ Facilites Manager – Startup Environment
Emerging biotech is ready to grow into its next phase of growth and is looking for an experienced laboratory manager/ facilities manager who is familiar with the atmosphere and challenges of a new startup and a new facility.
Roles and Responsibilities
· Manage all general laboratory operations including waste consolidation and removal, gas tank exchanges, tissue culture room maintenance, hazardous waste disposal, etc.
· Maintain inventories, Laboratory Safety Plan/Manual, SDS Manual, and other laboratory documentation and systems e.g. LIMS.
· Order laboratory consumables, office supplies & services, and negotiate the best prices for supplies; address any issues with orders; manage shipping/receiving.
· Manage laboratory instrumentation/equipment including servicing, repair, validation and calibration. Ensure that users have been trained on the correct use of the laboratory equipment.
· Ensure that the laboratory is cleaned/sanitized and kept in an orderly manner.
· Enforce established safety policies/procedures. Schedule safety training for new members and retraining for members who are in need of refresher training; ensure the training has been documented.
· Review research protocols of internal and external research groups in an effort to stay abreast as to what research projects are occurring in the laboratory at any given time.
· Participate in laboratory meetings and generate ideas for improving efficiency and productivity in the laboratory operations.
· Lead application and maintenance of permits required for facility operation (import/export, fire safety, etc). Monitor and ensure compliance with State, Federal and GxP regulations governing laboratory operations.
· Support Quality and Regulatory unit in ensuring alignment of facility operations with RVx quality management system, including internal audits.
· Lead corrective and preventative actions (CAPAs) arising at the laboratory/facility.
· Maintain common area, order and maintain breakroom supplies and consumables.
· Assist in the management of designated and other company facilities.
· Assist with the budgetary management for the facilities and services budget, being accountable to the SMT/EMT.
· Assist in the management of the interface between the technical and operations teams, buildings users, Senior Officers, and estates service providers, as appropriate.
· Periodically review local existing services to ensure that the most appropriate service delivery method is used and that value for money is achieved through consolidating procurement where possible; and agreed with building user representatives, where appropriate.
· Act as a local expert in company facilities management technical matters e.g. LIMS and permits, and provide professional help and guidance to others, as appropriate. Act as main local liaison with vendors and estates.
· Assist in managing and developing the existing facilities management teams to ensure high service delivery standards are maintained, to seek improvements as necessary and to ensure value for money.
· Assist in the brief, management and review of specialist consultants on specific activities.
· Deputise for the CTO and COO as required on facilities-based requirements.
· Participate in the development of Building User Guides, First Response plans and Operations Manuals for each managed building and ensure they are regularly reviewed and updated.
· Report to the relevant parties on health & safety and compliance matters.
· Assist in the budgetary management for the facilities and services budget for the managed buildings including preparing forecast and budget information. To also oversee invoicing and coding procedures to ensure budget controls are maintained ensuring that transactions are all in accordance with financial procedures and regulations.
· To assist in the management of staff as directed and as appropriate. This includes general staffing issues, recruitment, and retention, performance matters, personal development, training and appraisals in accordance with the Company’s policies and procedures. Manage support and administration teams through significant periods of change.
· Co-ordinate general maintenance, refurbishment, redecoration, and the general compliance and upkeep of buildings. This will involve liaison with Estates Services staff, contractors, and other specialists (e.g. those responsible for computer networks), and other parties as needed. Duties will include the compiling of estimates and bids for refurbishment, redecoration or reconfiguration of space as necessary, as well as project management for works undertaken.
· Assist in the preparation, planning, and management of Facilities related projects. Projects may be building and/or service related.
· Act as the Company Safety Officer for managed buildings.
· Advise and provide a compliant and safe physical working environment for staff in Facilities managed buildings, ensuring that health and safety policies are followed and appropriate risk assessments are undertaken.
· Oversee security matters including the operation of alarms and access control systems, and the CCTV coverage of the managed premises.
· Participate in the call-round arrangement for out-of-hours response and maintain general business continuity arrangements.
· Perform ad-hoc PAT testing.
· Carry out minor repairs on a daily basis within competency level.
Any other duties allocated which fall within the general area of the post
· Bachelor’s degree required in Biology, Biochemistry, Genetics, Virology, Immunology or related fields.
· Valid recognized qualifications in laboratory safety e.g. hazardous materials, COSHH or equivalent, blood products processing, biocontainment etc.
· 3+ years of laboratory management and purchasing experience.
· Experience with molecular biology and cell culture techniques (optional).
· Experience in implementation of ISO 9001 and/or ISO 13485 quality management systems.
· Experience in GxP regulated operations, in particularly diagnostic technology development and validation.
· Familiarity with BSL-1 and -2 requirements and practices.
· Excellent organizational and communication skills.
· Excellent attention to detail.
· Good computer skills.
· Ability to work efficiently, both independently and as part of a team.
· Demonstrable experience of buildings management.
· Demonstrable experience of project and space management.
· Good communication and interpersonal skills together with a positive attitude.
· Good understanding of facilities management issues and procurement procedures.
· Ability to work on own initiative and to prioritise work for self and for teams.
· Demonstrable experience of managing teams of staff in diverse areas.
· Ability to work on own initiative and as part of a larger team.
· Ability to deal diplomatically but firmly with difficult situations.
· Have a good understanding of Health & Safety issues relevant to the workplace.
· Dedication to excellence.