Director of Site Operations – Breeding Colony and Primate Facility
Our primate breeding facility in Florida is seeking a highly experienced and motivated individual to lead our facility’s operations as the Director of Operations. The successful candidate will be responsible for overseeing all aspects of our facility’s operations, ensuring the health and well-being of our primates, and contributing to the advancement of primate breeding research with an engaged, energized group of people committed to a shared vision of doing things right.
This role would provide oversight of the two colonies, Breeding and Maturation, totaling 6700 primates in outdoor housing in a rural setting.
- Develop and implement operational strategies and protocols
- Oversee all operational aspects of the facility, including animal care, maintenance, breeding group, husbandry group, and security
- Ensure compliance with all regulations and protocols related to animal welfare and research
- Collaborate with veterinary staff to maintain the health and welfare of primates
- Manage the facility’s budget and ensure financial goals are met
- Develop and maintain relationships with stakeholders, including partners and regulatory agencies
- Monitor and manage the facility’s resources, including personnel, equipment, and supplies
- Responsible for Veterinary Services, Husbandry, Facilities, and HR personnel management.
- Veterinary Services
- Oversees and evaluates the activities of the Attending Veterinarian in providing support to ensure all regulatory efforts are in compliance with the Animal Welfare Act and all regulatory agencies that oversee these standards to ensure their maintenance. Areas within this department to include all efforts related to enrichment and behavior as it relates to the needs of the animals.
- Oversees and evaluates the activities of the Manager of Husbandry Services to ensure all activities related to the housing and care of the animals is in accordance with the Animal Welfare Act and all regulatory agencies that oversee these standards to ensure their maintenance.
- Oversees and evaluates the Manager of Facilities to ensure that all efforts are directed at providing the immediate environment for the animals in accordance with regulatory standards as well as providing all infrastructure support for the facility in accordance with all county, state, and federal regulations when it comes to environmental impact. Oversees and directs the implementation of the Disaster Response Plan.
- HR Personnel Management
- In conjunction with ownership, acts on behalf of all PPI employees to ensure a healthy, safe, and non-discriminatory workplace abiding by all county, state, and federal regulations.
- Institutional Officer
- Interacts with the IO to ensure that proper funding and support are available and in place to ensure a facility exists that is in accordance with all previously stated regulations, whether the Animal Welfare Act or other government entities. The Director’s position can encompass this position if that is what is agreed upon with ownership.
- Maintain accurate records of all operational activities, including animal care, maintenance, and security.
- Ensure all facility staff are trained in safety and security protocols
- Develop and implement emergency plans and procedures
- Advanced degree in biology, animal science, or related field;
- Minimum of 10 years of experience managing the operations of a complex animal facility, with at least 5 years in a leadership position
- Strong knowledge of regulations and standards related to animal welfare and research
- Proven ability to manage a team and develop effective operational strategies
- Strong communication skills and ability to work collaboratively with others
- Demonstrated ability to maintain accurate records and manage a budget
- Willingness to work flexible hours, including weekends and holidays on as as-needed basis
- Physical ability to lift and move heavy objects and work in outdoor conditions
This is a full-time on-site position with a competitive salary and benefits package. The successful candidate will be joining a dedicated and passionate team working towards advancing primate breeding research.
Benefits and Appreciation
- Company Paid Holidays
- Company health benefits for the employee, including medical and dental
- Options for additional benefits such as life insurance.
- 401K, including Roth option and company matching