We are seeking a Clinical Veterinarian to join our dynamic team supporting lifesaving clinical treatments in laboratory animal medicine! This position works as part of our Clinical Services team and this role will focus on providing veterinary health care for laboratory animals and advice regarding the care and maintenance of laboratory animals. This responsibility extends to promoting animal well-being at all times and during all phases of the animal’s life as well as the compliance monitoring, quality management, and safety of the animal models. The person in this role will need to be an excellent communicator, proactive problem-solver and a have excellent follow-through. We are seeking someone that shows attention to detail, has excellent time management skills, demonstrates effective use of time and resources, and has a teamwork mentality and positive attitude.
On a typical day, the Veterinarian will contribute to the goal of the team by:
- Assuring timely and accurate reporting of animal health, behavior, and wellbeing issues to the Attending Veterinarian (AV) and between the Institutional Official (IO) and Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC).
- Providing veterinary guidance to animal caretakers, managers, scientists, and other stakeholders within the organization on the implementation of the three Rs.
- Engendering and supporting a “Culture of Care” within the organization while promoting and demonstrating professional standards.
- Providing veterinary clinical services including herd health, biosecurity practices, acclimation, conditioning, sanitation practices, pest control program, adventitious organism prevention, detection, containment, and eradication, as well as surgery, anesthesia, and analgesia as needed.
- Providing veterinary expertise and guidance for customers and other stakeholders regarding animal transportation, procurement, nutrition, necropsy, behavior, drug storage, preventative medicine, and animal health and welfare.
- Providing expertise and practical guidance with regard to animal health monitoring programs.
- Contributing veterinary scientific expertise as needed for education and training programs for animal care employees, supervisors, managers, and other organizational stakeholders.
- Providing veterinary oversite, expertise, and coverage as indicated for the surgical facilities, including developing new surgical models as well as providing guidance on current best practices in surgical procedures and anesthesia as assigned.
- Providing input regarding maintaining relevant local, state, and federal veterinary and animal-related regulatory compliance.
- Promoting and complying with the organization’s quality procedures as well as health and safety procedures.
To be successful in this role, this position requires that the Veterinarian brings:
- Veterinary degree
- Obtaining and maintaining state veterinary licensure, DEA, and federal accreditation (category 2) through continuing education credits
- Sufficient time in private practice or laboratory animal medicine to gain competency in veterinary herd health, clinical medicine, and surgery skills
- Experience carrying out audits or inspections preferred
- Fluent in English, spoken and in writing
Offering benefits including:
- Generous paid time off
- DACLAM Board study time and resources
- Tuition reimbursement/ Forgiveness/ Matching Program
- Paid holidays
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- Health savings account
- Flexible spending account
- Paid time to attend industry-specific conferences to obtain CEU (continuing education units) virtually or in-person
- State Veterinary Licensing reimbursement
- DEA license reimbursement
Interested in other Lab Animal Veterinary opportunities as well? Click here!